Ellicott City Emergency Dentist
Same Day Appointments
At Pinnacle Family Dental, we are proud to provide compassionate, efficient dental care to patients in Ellicott City, Columbia, and surrounding areas. If you are experiencing a dental emergency, we offer same-day appointments and will always do our best to treat you as soon as possible. You shouldn’t have to wait in pain to see a dentist. Call now if you are injured and we will get you smiling again with gentle, friendly dental care.
What is a Dental Emergency?
If your mouth, gums, or teeth are causing you extreme pain and you cannot remedy it on your own, you are experiencing a dental emergency. These situations can include a tooth that has been knocked out or cracked, past dental work that has fallen out or become loose, or excessive bleeding. Call us immediately at (410) 461-3747 to get treatment and restore your health.
What to Do in a Dental Emergency
The most important thing to do if you are experiencing a dental emergency is to remain calm and get treatment right away. The sooner you see a dentist after a dental emergency, the better. If a tooth is damaged or knocked out, getting treatment right away can help you save the tooth and avoid more costly procedures down the road. If you're in Howard County, call us now at (410) 461-3747 to schedule a same-day appointment with Dr. Kim.
What Should I Do If My Tooth Is Knocked Out?
- The very first thing you should do is call Pinnacle Family Dental at (410) 461-3747 to let us know that you’ll be coming in. A knocked-out tooth must usually be replaced within 1-2 hours in order for it to properly re-attach in its socket.
- After this, recover your tooth and rinse it off with water, then replace it in its socket. If this is not possible, you can put it in a small bag or container of cold milk.
- Next, you can use sterile gauze pads or cotton balls to help absorb blood, if necessary.
- For your pain and discomfort, you can take ibuprofen (Motrin) or naproxen (Advil). Avoid using aspirin, because it can prevent proper blood clotting. Externally-applied ice packs can also help with pain and swelling.
- Above all else, make sure that you come to our office as soon as possible to have your tooth replaced and splinted. If you get immediate treatment, it’s likely that we will be able to save your tooth.
Why Is It So Important To Get Help Immediately For A Dental Emergency?
There are a few reasons that it is important to contact an emergency dentist in Ellicott City as soon as you experience an oral injury or another dental emergency. First and foremost, it ensures that you to get relief from the pain and discomfort of your injury. A serious toothache or a cracked tooth can be extremely painful and uncomfortable, and interfere with your day-to-day life.
In addition, immediate care resolves your issue quickly and prevents further complications. Dental issues will not get better on their own and they will likely lead to worse conditions. In order to avoid these complications, it is critical to get emergency care as soon as possible.
Should I Go To The Hospital For A Dental Emergency?
As a rule, you should not go to a hospital or ER for any kind of dental emergency. Issues like infected teeth, broken and cracked teeth, and minor oral lacerations are painful and uncomfortable, but they are not life-threatening and do not justify an ER visit. In most cases, if you go to the ER with a dental emergency, they will simply refer you to a nearby emergency dentist. Seeing an emergency dentist is the best way to get the right care, and it’s also much more affordable than visiting an emergency room.
However, you need to use your best judgment when determining whether you should go to a hospital or ER. For example, you should go to the ER if you:
- Are experiencing swelling that is interfering with breathing or swallowing
- Have suffered serious damage to your jaw, such as a fracture
- Are bleeding from the mouth uncontrollably
If you believe your condition is truly life-threatening, you should definitely go to the ER. Otherwise, it’s best to see an emergency dentist near Font Hill, Dunloggin, Normandy and Autumn Hill, like Dr. Hyun Dong Kim.